Friday, August 18, 2006

Hi, how are you?

I wrote in my yahoo messenger to a friend, trying to make a conversation. She did not reply. Apparently it was a ‘zombie’ – where the user seems online but he or she is not.

Oh well. Then the next morning she buzzed me. What’s up, she asked. Nothing, I said, just wanted to know how you were. Does anything have to be up? I did not know that I need a reason to call a friend other than just want to know how he or she is.

The previous time was even worse. When I called up another friend to say hi, she asked how she could help me. She said in this modern world, when people called up other people, where was always something. People are just too busy to call for a chat and nothing else.

Sad but there is some truth in it. This so-called modern society has gotten into a strictly business stop-wasting-my-time-if-you-have-nothing-to-say mode, full of vested interest. Ck, no, I should not be this skeptic.

A reminder of how all great leaders of religions have always advised the importance of maintaining bonds among friends and neighbors, of the beauty of smile and of the simple gesture of greetings.

Can we do that? Smile to other people. Say hi to friends. Greet the janitors or security guards or whomever you pass by. Say thank you for every little favor a person has done for us. Can we?

- Aah, this reminds me of your Smile campaign, Ai :) -

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wehehehehhe.... Sarapan apa, Vaaaa?

Eva.M said...

Ha ha, lupa gua sama comment loe yang satu itu. Hari ini bubur ayam di depan sekolahan ponakan gua :) Yum yum.

Anonymous said...

Yep, it also happens to me. Sometimes I just feel this urge feeling to call someone merely just say to "hi!" and got hooked up again after a while and maybe have a little bit chat or two. But most of the times I didn't even make that call due to this excessive nerve not to disturb them in their busy days. And it left me wondering all alone about the very existence of them. Pity me..*sigh

Maybe you're right. Perhaps we just call/buzz them anyway, no matter what. And if they feel disturbed, then I guess it should be their matter (and their loss), not us. We just try to be nice - to our dear friends.

Thanks for comes up with this, I owe you one. Cheers!

Eva.M said...

Hi "terbanglah lebih tinggi"

Thanks for the comment. I have visited your blog. You have taught me a valuable lesson. Now it is me who owe you an even bigger favor :).

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
You thanked me for had given you a valuable lesson. Your welcome.

Umm, but what lesson, if I may ask? I dont feel like give a thing, especially if it taken from the blog of mine. It's just a photo album, a life catalysator, a source of self learning, or .. (perhaps) an epitaph.

Eva.M said...

Read my article titled "So vain". You are the second occurence :)