Saturday, December 09, 2006

The umbrella boy

I wanted to have lunch at the canteen at the back of my office building. It was raining. So I called one of those boys who rent out umbrellas for the pedestrians.

He walked beside me in the rain. Of course, I chatted with him – cannot have a living being (note: not only human) standing beside me without me chatting with him/her.

I asked him why he was not at school. He said he has graduated from the high school of economics and now he is unemployed. He wanted to enroll in a higher degree education but he has not money.

Do you know how many Indonesians have graduated from high school or higher? About 23%. More than 20% do not even graduate from elementary school. (data: Statistics Center Bureau, 2004)

So if a high school graduate can only rent out umbrella for a mere five thousand rupiah or less (about fifty cents US dollar) during rainy days, imagine those have received a lower level education.

Tell me we do not have a problem. Tell me we can continue living our lives the way we do. Tell me we can ignore the suffering of the less fortunates.

Start doing something. Anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eva, I do not know you, I read your blog just accidentally, I do not know your culture but I DO feel your passion for the less unfortunate. Eva, one person's stength might not be great enough to change the entire world, but would still make a difference. On the ohter hand, why not try prayers? Prayers change everything.

I pray that God will use you and strengthen you and make you a great person than you already are...to make a difference in this world...to care for others as we all should. Angel from Hong Kong

Eva.M said...

Thank you. The prayer goes to each and everyone of us.