Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Go on, envy me. Or don’t.

“You’re one lucky bitch. I am so envious”. I have received that remarks on several occasions, especially after I started my sabbaticals. The “lucky” part I mean. Though, yes, there are occasions when I also receive the “bitch” part – but that’s another posting on its own.

My first response to the “lucky” remark was: “I know..”, with a huge smile and no remorse. Of course I know that I am lucky and I am forever thankful for that. And if you are one of the people who happens to read this writing, sipping your coffee or tea, using your (office) computer, in an air-cond room, I would consider yourself lucky as well.

I sometimes question why, Why envy me? Would you trade place with me? You are just saying that because you don’t know the complete story of my life or all those not-so-positive things about me (am using euphemism here). If you do, you would probably change your mind.

You see, everyone comes in a package. You cannot have just the luck part of my life. You have to have every aspect of my life along with its complexities. Then you need to apply the cause-effect principle. You change one aspect of yourself, you will cause (unexpected) changes in other aspects.

Me? My life is far from what people might define as “an ideal life”. Yet there is not a time when I want to trade place with anyone. Ever. My life is just as what God has planned it to be, thank you. Along with all of God’s little (and big) jokes on me.

So go on, envy me if you want. But I suggest you stick to what you have and work on it.

No comments: