Sunday, November 06, 2005

(is it that) Hard to say I am sorry



Why do we wait for Idul Fitri to say "I am sorry" ? Do we know what mistakes we have made? Do we even care?

Perhaps it is just something we take for granted, are just too proud to say so or are too afraid of the consequences. So we assume that those who are dear to us will forgive and forget. We let it pass by, despite knowing that there are occasions when we hurt their feelings.

I know this is true for my case. I cannot possibly wait one whole year for Idul Fitri to say how sorry I am. There will just be too many mistakes. And I truly love my family and friends too much to let the hurt lingers for the whole year.

My aunt has a noble habit of saying "please forgive me" every time we part. She said during that particular time we meet she may have hurt my feeling. She does not know whether she lives long enough to postpone saying I am sorry to another time. Good point.

I do not mean apologizing during Idul Fitri is bad. In fact, it goes with the overall theme of purifying ourselves. Plus there is never a bad time to say I am sorry, um, I think. It is also a good excuse to stay in touch with families and friends (ask the post office, fixed-phone and GSM network providers).

Now Idul Fitri has passed. Welcome back, people, to the everyday life. A time when we can and will make mistakes to ourselves and to other people. Do we really have to wait for next year's Idul Fitri before once again we say how sorry we are?

A question I ask more to myself rather than to other people.

No comments: