Thursday, July 27, 2006

What's God?

Several months ago, a friend and I were having a conversation - you know, the usual conversation about spirituality, religion, God, etc. Suddenly my friend asked, "What's God?". I was struck dumb for a second. Then I said, "To explain God with words will be to undermine Him.".

I don't know why I answered the question that way. It came out, just like that.

It was several months ago but if you ask me again that very question, I will stand by my previous answer: "To explain the very definition of God with words will be to undermine Him."

2 comments:

@beradadisini said...

"To explain the very definition of God with words will be to undermine Him."

Oh, that is so true and beautiful!

I typed that sentence and saved it in my cellphone. From now on, I'll have the ultimate answer to such a challenging question.

Amazing!

Eva.M said...

Hi Hanny

Thanks for your comment. Honestly, I almost did not put your comment here because I don't think I deserve such praise.

That answer of mine to my friend actually was not that original. The view is shared by many others, or at least by the sufis. They believe when you define God, you can bet that the definition is inaccurate and insufficient.

At any case, I am glad you share a similar view. Thanks again for your visit.