Thursday, December 22, 2005

It is the small things, you know

These are the words from one of my friends in Seville.

All those clichés – it is the small things; you do not know what you have got until you lose it – they are so true.

Think of these: When was the last time we feel grateful about:
- Our family and friends
- That shouting and laughter from your brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews
- Being able to speak the language without thinking
- Knowing where to buy everything, or better yet, anything
- The warmth and the sun (oh, the sun)
- The extra blanket or heater when you need one
- The warm strong douche after a long day
- The afternoon or all-day shopping
- The warm rice, dried or friend (gurame!) fish, sambal (chilly paste) and krupuk (crackers); snacks from the street hawkers – cannot take the Indonesian out of this girl
- The hot meal that is prepared by our dear-old mom (ok, my mom)
- Our pets (yes, my cat and late chicken)
- Getting up or walking to school or office without being frozen (again, MY car)
- The celebrity gossip shows on TV (yes, even that)
- That small garbage bin in your room
- The 10 year-old long pillow or blanket that is oh so comfy

All those small things you have taken for granted. Until you are in a new country in a new apartment with completely new set of people with no language to speak and no escaping the winter plus a lot of studying and homework to do.

Ok, it is not that bad. In fact, it is not bad at all. But yes, I miss them all. I miss you all. There, I have said it.

Then again, as my friends at Maverick will say, (in Italian accent) This is nothin!! I am so lucky. Lucky. Lucky.

ps: I wrote this piece on one afternoon under the sun at one of the terrace by a garden in Seville, sipping warm tea with a friend. (Hi Floor! I wonder if you will ever read this. Thank you). That was also nice, very nice. It is indeed in the small things. Always.

No comments: