Thursday, December 15, 2005

Yes, yes, let’s all go to Aceh

I am sorry. Am I being cynical again?

It is almost one year after the tsunami and it is like now everybody is going to Aceh to commemorate (yeeahh I wrote that word right the first time) the tsunami in Aceh last year.

I do not mean it in a bad way. In fact, hats off to all people who have devoted their time to help rebuild Aceh. I spent a short three weeks there for a project several months ago and it stressed the hell out of me.

My first thought when I arrived in Aceh was that there were so many foreigners (meaning: people originated outside of Aceh). Too many. I supposed too many might be better than too few. Though I am not so sure about this.

I was just thinking – how does the Acehnese feel about this? It is like suddenly all people want to enter your home and help you rebuild it. Before you know it some of them have started to tell you what to do as if you do not know better.

I was just thinking – are we really marching to the same drumbeat here? Are we going to the same direction? It just does not seem like it.

I was just thinking – would it not be better if it is the Acehnese is the one who lead all these developments? The others help – only help, support. Or is this the case? Let me think – no. I am sticking to my skeptical self.

So let’s all think before we put up front our angelic self and step out to save the world: Are we doing this for them or for our selfish selves? Are we really making things better or worse? Is there a way to make us even more useful?

Which is worse: doing something with a bad intension, doing something with a good intension but turned out to worsen the condition, or not doing anything at all? I don’t know. I am curious though.

1 comment:

Maarten said...

I think you are asking the right questions.

I would say there is a certain double-sidedness to a lot of our charity, or at least to charity like this.

I don't mean to trivialise the work done to help others, but I do like to remind you of these questions you asked, and to remember not to take for granted why something is being done.

I'm just a passer-by, but when I read this I wanted to let you know that someone appreciates your thoughts :)