Sunday, February 19, 2006

The cartoons of Muhammad

(may God bless him and grant him peace)

I did not pay attention to this issue because.. because I think we should handle this differently and focus our mind on other things. But this changed yesterday when my teacher made me read the news and asked me to give my opinion. Then I became curious about it and I just need to get it out of my system. So I started writing.

I bet many of you think: what is the fuss all about? To Moslems, it is a big fuss.

Moslems believe that there should never be any picture of Muhammad (may God bless him and grant him peace), however meaningful, beautiful and artistic it may be. Because it may hinder us from focusing solely on God and may make us imagine or glorify Muhammad (may God bless him and grant him peace) out of his proportion. And maybe because.. well, look what has happened now.

Some people then pointed that this is a free country. People can express whatever they want to express. Shall we express it even at the expense of other people’s privacy and beliefs? Oh such a difficult subject to discuss.

If we think a person is ugly, shall we go ahead and say it? If we hear something bad about someone, should we go out and spread it? Have we already known the whole story or do we only know an incomplete picture? What are the advantages and disadvantages of saying it? Is it that important for us (and him) to say it?

Do we really need to say it, in that way? How do we think he and his loved ones will feel? Do we care? Is there a better way of doing it? Will it be better if we just keep quiet and think of what is positive about him instead?

There is also a question of how the Moslem should respond to it. Are they over-reacting? If somebody you hold so dear, in your point of view, has been maltreated, will you not respond enthusiastically?

But if we respond, how should we respond? And if we respond in the same manner as this initial cause of chain reaction, does it mean we are guilty of the same ‘mistake’? How can we make the other people see, appreciate and respect our point of view? How can we stop this from being a vicious, pointless, never-ending cycle of arguments that may lead to more hatred and prejudice in the world? (Oh, just what we need)

I must confess. Before I wrote this article, I searched the Internet for the pictures. What I found was naïve pictures of the Prophet (may God bless him and grant him peace) (perhaps too naïve to understand the consequence behind it), pictures of the rage caused by it, and pictures of the rage caused by the reactions (these ones are so heartbreaking for me) When will this stop? Why should this unnecessary hatred start?

It is such a difficult subject to discuss. Had we known the answer, perhaps there will be peace on earth. But let us give it a shot anyway. Let us stop having pointless and never-ending cycle of arguments. Let us be more productive, helpful and loving to one another.

In cases where we do not see eye-to-eye, as my boss (Hi Ong ;)) used to say, let us just agree to disagree and be done with it. Respect the differences that exist among us.

May wisdom, love and peace be upon us all.

No comments: