Sunday, February 19, 2006

Let’s have fun, we only live once

An expression I have heard so many times in my life. Yes, but what’s fun? Your definition might be different from mine.

The noun ¨Fun, according to MS’s Encarta, is a time or feeling of enjoyment or amusement or something such as an activity that provides enjoyment or amusement.

So what amuses us? For me, now it is less about partying and drinking all night, talking and laughing perhaps at the expense of other people, or banging our heads to that loud music (Banging? I am so eighties).

To me, more and more, fun is about watching a child feeling so content in her mother’s arms, is about being one with nature, is about singing with the less fortunate orphans in their emergency school (hi mbak Mel, miss you much), fun is .. a lot of things I cannot describe here but you get the drift.

Now, how can I have fun…

… when I was browsing the Internet to search of updates of my country, the first thing I found was news about a mom-to-be celebrity having a baby shower but few people know who the father is?

… when everywhere I go I see homeless people on the street, I witness people fighting over nothing, and I watch people suffer from hunger and disease?

… when I know there is so much wrongs in the world yet so little I can do? I can feel the tears in my eyes even as I wrote this.

So, are we having fun yet? Shall we or shall we not have fun? Do we deserve to have fun? If so, what kind?

[to be continued]

No comments: