Sunday, May 07, 2006

700 million Rupiah a day

“Palestine has been boycotted. The people are hungry. The children cannot drink milk. We shall demo today, Sunday 7 May, 8.30am at HI. Prepare your donation. Please distribute.” I received this message through SMS today from a good friend.

Being away from Jakarta, I was curious about the result of the demo – or they call it: the act of peace: solidarity for Palestine.

It turned out that the demo has managed to gather Rp700 million (USD 70,000) in a day. A relatively large amount of money in such a short span of time, especially for Indonesia. Wow. Hats off to the organizer, hats off to the generous Indonesians.

In addition, the demo, which was attended by tens of thousands of people, was done in a complete peace. Wow. How cool is that.

I was also curious about the issue: the boycott of Palestine. I am sorry if I have been so out of touch. Anyway, so I searched in Google, CNN and BBC. Interestingly, I had a hard time finding the explanation of the issue. Perhaps I searched for the wrong term. “Boycott” may be too strong of a word. Perhaps 'they' are using a more politically correct word (and justification) for this. This is another issue, but still, wow.

I do not know enough about Israel-Palestine world debate to comment about it. That is not why I wrote this. I was just wondering: how can Indonesian people gather such a large sum of money in such a short day for Palestine? We seem to have a harder time helping our own country and our fellow countrymen. Wow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm.. nice..
well, i always wondering the same thing. we, indonesian especially javaneese, always lack of money to buy our needs, that's why most of us prefer to loan/borrow than to buy. BUT! we always have money to return it back if we found the things is broken/lost.
eh.. ngerti maksudku kan? :) kalo beli susah, tapi kalo yang dipinjem ilang atau rusak kita selalu saja bisa beli. aneh ya.. :p