Friday, May 12, 2006

So you want to study Spanish in Spain?

Woo-hoo! Twenty-four weeks of studying Spanish have passed. Though I must admit that it has been a bit of a stretch for me, I do not regret it one bit. It has been a once in a lifetime precious experience for me. I still have about two weeks left in Spain but I will mostly be travelling. Not sure if I will access Internet during those times (yeah, right).

Anyway, if you want to put yourself in a similar boat of travelling to Spain and learning Spanish, here are some tips:

Pick the time. I personally like May – not too cold, not too warm.

Learn it all the way, if you can. Stay several months and get into the language and the culture.

Those who cannot stay that long, better learn something first in your own country and use your time in Spain to practice it.

If you do stay for several months, break your study into several phases and in between have a ‘travelling-only’ break.

Try different cities. Depending on what you want. I prefer to stay in one city for at least two months. Browse the Internet and pick yours.

Practice your Spanish. Of course, you say. But you would be surprise how many students do not speak Spanish outside of the class. So speak it, even to your English-speaking friends.

Do the tourist bits first. Do not leave it until the last minute (like me)

Ensure you have the proper visa. If you need to extend, do it as soon as you can and put the school adress instead of your flat. Long story.

Get yourself in touch with the locals. For instance, take a dance class outside of school with the locals (me, I took flamenco and yoga), get a job in a bar or horse stable (like my friend)

If you like a bit more 'challenge' than ordinary people (like me), take the DELE exam – is the only formal certificate of the language by the Spanish government

Discover yourself. It is a rare opportunity for us to be out of our ‘natural environment’. Learn something about yourself. Take time for yourself. For once, get to know yourself.

Be yourself. If you like partying, party on (keep a close watch on your money - it goes down pretty fast sometimes). If you like travelling, plenty of chance here. If you like to stay in the city and be alone, it is ok as well. Darling, you are in Spain. You can do what you want to do and you can be whoever you want to be.

Above all, enjoy your time. You will love Spain and the Spanish, I promise.

Pues, nada mas. Vuelvo a mi pais. Me alegre poder hablar Español (aunque no perfectamente) despues de estar aquí seis meses. Hasta siempre, España. Muchas gracias por todo. Era una experiencia inolvidable. Siempre te recordaré. Siempre te querré.

(That is it. I am returning to my country. I am happy to be able to speak Spanish (though not perfectly) after staying here for six months. Until later, Spain. Thanks for everything. It has been an unforgetable experience. I will always remember you. I will always love you.)

Ps: A bit of advertisement for my school Don Quijote, which is not bad at all. Recommended :), except for the taxi pickup reservation service – be a bit adventurous and grab yourself a cab or a bus when you have arrived at your city.

No comments: