Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Appreciation and pride

A small and rather ridiculous example – but it is true, which makes it even more ridiculous. I was made the Indonesian blogger of the week by A Fatih Syuhud. Thanks. It feels nice to be appreciated and acknowledged. I feel, well, proud.

Then I thought, my God, if this ‘small’ thing can make me feel proud (with all due respect to Fatih and his much appreciated blogger of the week column), no wonder I have not won any Academy awards or Noble prize yet. I do not think I can handle it just yet – not to mention I have not done anything to deserve them but that ‘small detail’ is beside the point.

I cannot imagine how those people must have felt – either indifferent because of their humbleness or their ego has blown up bigger than the world plus heaven and hell combined together.

Someone (I think it was the Prophet) said that praises and appreciation is a double edge sword that can be much more lethal than criticism and hurt. With criticism and hurt, it is ‘easier’ to feel humble, to feel small and to remind ourselves of the greatness of God – you know, when people are in a deep sh*t, there is a good chance they go to God to ask for guidance and strength.

But not many remember God and ask for His guidance when all goes well, when they are successful, and when all works the way they want it to be. At these, times, we would say, “Yeah, that is me, all me, nothing but me.”

What a deceitful and dangerous place to be. Forgive me Lord. All praises should go only to You and nobody, or even nothing, else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see your post. you seem to be in very contemplated mood. I believe that praise and criticism both are necessary of life. yet, it needs the balancing act to deal with it.

Praise is not something forbidden in Islam. It should be distinguished with flattery which is not good. If you read through the Quran, you'll find how the Almighty praise those human being (not only prophets) that surrender themselves to the will of God.
The word you've quoted actually ascribed to Ali, the son-in-laws of the Prophet and known as proponent symbol of sufism.

nice to see a metropolis woman like you contemplate in such a deeper thought. i rarely found that to be honest.

regards from india

fatih

Anonymous said...

Hi Fatih, how's life?

Thanks for the comment. Actually, I feel that it was another praise ;) He he, no matter. Thanks again.

Hope to meet you in person someday and chat with you.

-eva