Thursday, April 20, 2006

Ha ha, very funny, God

A personal story with the Spanish Immigration office. I will tell you the chronology, much easier.

Oct 2005 - The Spanish embassy’ visa section gave me a three month visa and said that I need to extend it once I arrive in Spain.

W1 Dec 2005 – Arrived in Spain

W2 Dec 2005 - Went to the immigration office in Seville. Stood in line for four hours. They said they would mail me a letter.

W4 Jan 2006 – No letter yet. Returned to the Office and they said I needed to wait a bit more.

W4 Feb 2006 – No letter yet. Returned to the Office and once again I needed to wait a bit more.

W4 Mar 2006 – No letter yet. Returned to the Office. They had changed the queuing system and I was late – twice.

W1 Apr 2006 , Monday – Returned to the Office. Stood in line since 7.30am. Waited until 2pm. Turned out that they had put a wrong address in my letter. I needed to return to set up an appointment with the Police.

W1 Apr 2006 , Monday – Returned to the Office. Stood in line since 7.30am. Made the appointment but the appointment was for 28 April 2006 – by then I would have left Seville for Barcelona. The man said then I needed to go to the Police office in Barcelona.

Yesterday – Cannot remember the names, let us call them Immigration Office A, B and C. Went to the Office A, which was the address given by my school. After waiting for almost one hour, Office A turned out to be only for the European Community. They said, go to Office B. Right. Went there. Another line – a shorter one though. They said, no, here is only for extending your student card, not to make one. So you need to go to Office C to make the student card. It was too late to go there because it closes at 2pm. Fine, tomorrow then.

Earlier today – Went to Office C. Wait for half an hour. The lady said it was too late for me to make a student card, because a student card needs five weeks to make and I only have four weeks left in school. She also said that I would have no problem with the immigration as long as I return to my country directly after my study, which is what I am planning to do.

So all these, to come to a conclusion that I need not do anything to extend my visa. I do not mind actually – my emotion was literally flat during the process. (is that good or bad?) In fact, I kind of enjoyed watching all other people (like myself) waiting in line. I spent my time reading, doing my Spanish exercises, talking to people or humming the song played by my ipod.

But I do think the whole process is not necessary. Or is it? Just for God to see what I have learned at my other school – the school of Life, or as my friend calls it: the school of emotion. So, how am I doing, God?

3 comments:

Ujang said...

It just goes to show that incompetence of bureaucracy is not a monopoly of the so-called developing countries. God probably has got nothing to do with it. Or does He?

Eva.M said...

For me, God has to do with everything. But I am certainly not blaming Him. Every experience is meant to enrich our lives. Just need to learn to enjoy and make the best of it. Cliché, I know. But a cliché is a cliché because it works. Carpe diem.

ffnst said...

aaahhh those lovely catalunian hehehe....

i'm surely miss la rambla...