Monday, March 20, 2006

Happy father’s day

To my fathers – the real McCoy and all that have been like a father to me.

My birth father passed away more than 10 years ago.

He used to tell me the same bedtime story (yes, one same story) over and over again every night when I was little. But I had never got tired of it.

When I had grown up a bit, he still treated me as a kid. I used to hate it. There was even ‘one time’ when I disliked him so much that I refused to talk to him, not even a single word. The one time lasted for about two or three years. Yet, he was patient. He knew it would pass. It did and I loved him more than ever.

He loved books and learning new things. He loved discussing, second-guessing and questioning things. He was a man of common sense and vision.

He never complained about life. He was always thankful for whatever life had given him. He was a humble man. He worked hard but he never boasted about his success or his possessions.

I remember one time I had left my jacket in the taxi. I panicked. He looked at me and said, “Let it go, let it go”. I would never forget those words. Whenever something ‘bad’ happen, I told myself to let go.

He was helpful to his friends and relatives, but straightforward as well. When he did not like something, he would gladly say it. He had many good friends. Many of which remain friends to the family until today.

He (and Mom) let me choose what I want to do from the very early age. I cannot remember when was the last time they forbid me from doing anything. They always let me decide. Some people were still wondering how they could do that.

My father was not a saint. He was not free from sins or wrongdoings. Perhaps there are many things that I do not know about him. But I love him just the same. My mom and dad are the greatest in the world.

Happy father’s day, Pop. Thank you for everything. May you find peace, love and happiness in God’s eternal land. I love you. I love you too, Mom.

No comments: