Saturday, March 11, 2006

Me, I am a cynic as well

I was reading my writings about cynics and skeptics. My God, I am one of ‘them’, the cynics.

I was being cynical about the cynics. I was guilty of the same sin. Hence, allow me to tell you something different about the same matter.

Last week we were talking about countries in our class. At one time, we spoke about Israel. It was a controversial topic. Then, there was this friend of mine who have lived in Israel for several months. He started to tell us about his beautiful experience there, about how the Israelis where he lived had welcomed him so warmly and about their culture.

I enjoyed listening to his story, more than he realized. Is it not amazing how different your perspective about certain things can be once you get to know them better? Is it not beautiful to set aside our prejudice and to gain real understanding about it?

As Professor Alexander Wilder says in his "Introduction to the Eleusinian Mysteries," "It is ignorance which leads to profanation. Men ridicule what they do not properly understand. . . “ So true.

I loved his story. More than he realized.

No comments: